Thursday, October 17, 2013

In The Beginning

I'm starting this blog to record the history of Bumblestook and chronicle her progress.

It was May 10, 2010 and after searching far and wide I finally found the car I had been looking for, a 2002 Spa Yellow Honda S2000. The owner was a very friendly woman in her mid-50s. She loved this car and she spent what felt like hours telling me stories about it including how she waited eagerly outside the fences of the dealership when she found out it was getting delivered. This was important to me because I wasn't just looking for a car. I wanted a car that was going to grow with me and it needed to have character and personality and not just be a collection of metal, plastic and leather. She drove it regularly but managed to only rack up 27,000 miles on the car since her work was close to her home and she would often switch it up between this car, her Jeep and her Harley.

I previously owned a heavily modified RSX Type-S that I had autocrossed and track with but after 5 years I reluctantly sold it since I knew that to evolve as a driver I had to switch to a rear wheel drive platform. I didn't have in-depth knowledge about S2000s at the time but I did know that it was a car that would teach me things (looking back that was an understatement). I test drove it and it instantly felt special. It's hard to explain this sensation to people who have never driven one but everything about it just felt "right". I knew I wanted it so we agreed on the the price and two days later I took her home. This was the beginning of a journey that even I couldn't have predicted that cool spring evening in 2010 when I parked her in the garage for the first time. She was stock...bone stock down to the original Bridgestone S02s the car was delivered with in 2002...but we all know that wouldn't last for long.

May 12, 2010