Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Suspension Makeover

Part of my deal with Dan was that he'd help me install all the suspension pieces on my car so a couple of week later (2/19/2011) we went over to Joey's house to install it. This was a bit painful since I wanted the rear external shock canisters inside the trunk so we had to drill holes in the otherwise mint body.

Before the carnage
After the carnage
Dan checking me out through the hole
This was supposed to be the hardest part, the Motons just slipped right in but taking the camber joint off Dan's car proved to be a total PITA and we wasted an hour or two trying to take it out but we eventually succeeded thanks to the good 'ol BFH!

Dan working on the car. So much yellow...win!
Rear shock in. Rear stock sway bar out. 
Front shocks, Gendron bar with ball bearing mounts and
J's racing S1 camber joint in
Front canisters
Proof that I didn't always just pay someone to work on Bumblestook
We used some plastic grommet stuff to seal the hole once we got the rear canisters in and used some rubber coating to prevent rust.

Undercoat
A few layers is fine
Rear canisters zip tied in place
It was pretty late when we finished and of course to make things more awesome it started snowing and I was still on the Z1 star specs. Oh well, took it easy  and got home safe. It really surprised me how incredibly well the Motons controlled the 1000lb springs. It didn't feel nearly as rough as you'd expect it to be. The most important part of the STR suspension makeover was done. Money shocks are awesome!