Thursday, October 31, 2013

STR doesn't give you wings!

One major change in the Street Touring rules between 2010 and 2011 was the ban on non-OEM aero. At the time I was against this change but realistically I understood why it was done and in general it was probably a good thing...but I personally wanted it. It made the car look more aggressive but more importantly for me I really didn't want to do a track day with a twitchy S2000 without rear aero. This sealed the deal for me to leave STR as soon as we were done with the Devens National Tour that year. I probably would've left the sport altogether at that point were it not for the scheduled ProSolo in NJ in May and my general excitement to finally attend a "big event".

Wrapping the wing for protection before removal
2/23/2011
Reluctantly I wrapped the wing and took it off. I used these color matching S2000 keyhole covers made by www.js2k.com to cover up the holes since the wing was going back on later anyway.

Wing off  - 2/23/2011
Keyhole covers used to plug the holes - 2/23/2011
Wingless - 2/23/2011
I have to admit, having a wing was a love/hate thing. I loved the aggressive look but it also attracted a lot of unwanted attention. It was nice being able to drive around again and be under the radar...well at least as "under the radar" as you can get with a bright yellow sports car.