Thursday, November 14, 2013

Tire Trailer

Knowing full well that going to the track without tools, a few spares and extra wheels is probably a bad idea, I set off to start putting together a small tire trailer. Nothing particularly innovative here. Started off with your typical Harbor Freight 40x48" trailer with 12" wheels.

Harbor Freight Trailer - 4/29/2011
One really important step is to put some proper grease in the wheel bearings. Took the bearing out to clean it in then applied a healthy amount of high temp wheel bearing grease.

Fresh grease on wheel bearing - 4/29/2011
I added upgraded safety chains and a trailer jack up front


I used 2 x 6 pressure treated wood to hold up the tool box and plywood for the part where the wheels will be placed. I then used 2 feet of pipe covered in 2 feet of PVC (to protect the wheels) to keep the wheels in place. I also upgraded the lights to LEDs.


I bolted the toolbox onto the back. Filled it with tools, put the TSWs on there and strapped it down. I didn't have any track tires yet so for now I'd be using it to transport the fresh set of RS-3s since I started getting paranoid about potentially getting a flat on the tires we were going to race on. RS-3s were in low supply at this time so getting a flat would've been a very bad blow.


On the car side, I added a chase race removable hitch and added the necessary wiring to control the lights on the trailer.

Trailer light wiring - 5/4/2011

Chase Race Hitch - 5/11/2011
Finally, put it all together and made sure I had the right amount of tongue weight.

Trailer ready to go - 5/11/2011