Wednesday, November 20, 2013

SSM, Hoosiers and NJMP with NEQ

The following Sunday, I had scheduled a track day at NJ Motorsports Park with the North East Quattro (Audi) Club. However, before heading out there I wanted to shake down the car so I actually did an autocross the Saturday before. Since I got bumped to SSM due to the aero mods (even though I was still basically just a STR car with a wing), I figured I might as well enjoy it with some Hoosiers so I picked up a set of 245 Hoosiers, had them mounted on the OZ Allegeritas and off I went.

First event ever on Hoosiers - 6/19/2011
I had never driven on Hoosiers before and my jaw dropped from the level of grip. I came back to grid and kept giggling like a little school girl and I was caught with this super happy Asian face.

Super Happy Hoosier  Asian Face - 6/19/2011
NNJR SCCA SSM - 6/19/2011
Meadowlands, NJ

From this event, I went directly down to NJMP. When I got to the track on Sunday, I was greeted with plenty of rain. Just great...my first track day on a twitchy rear wheel drive car and it's raining AND I'm on RS-3s. I've already been signed off to run solo with NASA but NEQ didn't know me so I was issued an instructor. That was fine since I didn't know this track and actually had a very helpful instructor. I started driving gingerly the first few laps, slowly picking up pace as I got more confident with the car. Things were going well and I kept picking up speed until we got to the end of the second session and I got on the gas a hair early and found myself spinning into the grass (fast forward to the last minute or two of the video for the spin).

Track day with NEQ (wet) - 6/20/2011
NJMP Lightning, NJ
Track day in the rain - 6/20/2011
NJMP Lightning, NJ
No damage after the spin, just a lot of dirt - 6/20/2011
It eventually dried up and I was finally able to see how she felt when I can put the power down. She was incredibly stable and so much fun to drive especially around the bowl. Autocrossing a S2000 is nice but frankly the thrill of rowing through all the gears, winding her up to 9000rpms, heel-toe downshifting, really made me happy. Track days for me isn't about the competition. It's just about enjoying Bumblestook to her full potential without the threat of pot holes, cops, and drivers not paying attention.

Track day with NEQ - 6/20/2011
NJMP Lightning, NJ
Track day with NEQ (dry)- 6/20/2011
NJMP Lightning, NJ
Track day with NEQ - 6/20/2011
NJMP Lightning, NJ