Thursday, November 21, 2013

Track prep for Poconos

After doing some more research, I figured I wanted to get some more reliability mods done on Bumblestook before the next track event. For starters, I felt it would be a good idea to change out the wheel bearings since those had been on the car for 9 years and might go on me since they were unlikely torqued to the new recommended spec to prevent premature wheel bearing failure. While the hubs were going out, I also decided to get some APR extended lugs as a safety buffer in case any of my lugs nuts started backing out. It would also give me the option to safely run spacers if I had to. My shocks were also making some noise and I suspected some wear on the top mounts so I got replacement bushings for that as well.

APR extended lugs
New wheel bearings and top mount bushings
Extended lugs installed - 7/11/2011
Extended lugs installed - 7/11/2011
JDV inspected my wheel bearings and it turned out that they were still fine so we opted to not replace them just yet but still install the extended lugs. At previous tech inspections with NASA I was told to add something to my harness bar to prevent the shoulder harnesses from going side to side so I got these clamp things.

Clamps
Clamps installed - 7/11/2011
Finally we added a rear tow hook in case I had another off

Rear tow hook - 7/11/2011