Thursday, April 3, 2014

Weight reduction and the Beehive

When I came back from Nats, I was supposed to head out to Watkins Glen for a track weekend but at this point I had already decided that Bumblestook would (at least temporarily) be retired from track duty and become a dedicated competitive autocross car. I didn't waste any time and we started working on next year's build. First, replacing the fuel tank sensor so I could actually see the level of fuel I had. JDV found that I must've forgotten to plug the intake air sensor back into the car at some point which probably explained why my ECU wasn't compensating correctly for the heat at Lincoln and we pulled out the rollbar and soft top.

New fuel level sender - 9/14/2013
Rollbar out - 9/14/2013
Soft top out - 9/14/2013
Stock roll hoops and interior back in - 9/14/2013
I then picked up Jake's used Hoosier A6 315s to use in the rear next year (for practice/testing use only)

Hoosier A6 315s - 9/21/2013
For the last bit of fun in Bumblestook for 2013, I invited Dan Cheung, Jon Caserta and Tory Benya to codrive Bumblestook in BSP and SSM (that I fondly called the "Beehive"). We had loads of fun just competing against each other but it was already clear what that bit of weight reduction made to the car. My best local PAX finish all year, 2nd place only to P.J. and Panda!

Tory - NNJR SCCA Autox - 9/28/2013
Dan - NNJR SCCA Autox - 9/28/2013
Jon - NNJR SCCA Autox - 9/28/2013
Steguis - 2nd in PAX out of 140 drivers
NNJR SCCA Autox - 9/28/2013

The Beehive - NNJR SCCA Autox - Meadowlands, NJ
9/28/2013