Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Glen

I look with envy at all the cheap track days the west coat guys get but there's one awesome thing about being on the east coast and that's getting to drive at Watkins Glen International. Easily my favorite track, the area is beautiful (especially in the fall), the track is a huge adrenaline rush with elevation changes and walls that lure drivers in who aren't paying attention or have run out of luck or talent. I had been there before but since I arrived a day early, I figured I'd go visit Watkins Glen State Park as well. Even if you don't like going to the track, there's some pretty cool stuff to see there.

Watkins Glen State Park - 9/30/2011
Watkins Glen State Park - 9/30/2011
Well of course, fall at Watkins Glen means a significant chance of rain and so of course, without fail, that's what we got. 40 degree weather, intense downpour and fog.

Watkins Glen International - 10/1/2011
Having a giant wing can be useful sometimes - 10/1/2011
I counted probably 8 crashes that weekend so it was no surprise a lot of people decided to wait the rain out. I, on the other hand, just accepted that I was screwed and went out there. With almost zero visibility from the spray, standing water everywhere and driving on RS3s I think this is probably the craziest thing I've ever done especially when you could barely see the brake lights of the guy in front of you let alone see the apex. Each session was a 20 minute pure butt-puckering adrenaline rush and I really don't know how I stayed off the walls, especially as the car would drift a few feet in each direction anytime I'd get on the power.

Watkins Glen International - 10/2/2011
Watkins Glen in the downpour - 10/2/2011
Watkins Glen, NY

Eventually though it did stop raining on our second day there and we got some dry runs in. It wasn't completely dry as the rumble strips were still wet and very slippery so you couldn't really ride them like you normally would. With most people having gone home already, on the last session they just asked anyone who was still there to go out and have at it and while my rule of thumb is to take it easy on the last session, I did try to make the most of it since I was just so sick of being cold and wet all weekend long.

Watkins Glen - Dry - 10/2/2011
Watkins Glen, NY

And on the way back, I made my usual stop at the scenic lookout by the Delaware gap on I-80 just to enjoy the view before heading home and being glad that once again, Bumblestook was going home in one piece and on her own power.

Delaware Gap scenic overlook - 10/3/2011