Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Back to autoxing, Rad brings out his AP2 and I go back on street tires

August is always a slow time for autox in the NorthEast due to the heat so after a month it was good to be back out there again having fun. Rad had picked up his NFR AP2 by this time and was going to bring it out for the first time at the MSNE event. Why is this relevant? Because after this event Rad and I got to talking about codriving his AP2 the following season in STR.

MSNE Autocross - 9/4/2011
Meadowlands, NJ

Rad vs Steguis - 9/24/2011
Meadowlands, NJ

Since I'm absolutely horrible at adapting to new setups, I had to stop driving on Hoosiers ASAP so I wouldn't get spoiled by the grip. For the next two events it was back to street tires for me. I have to admit I missed the Hoosier grip but it was fun sliding around but as the video shows, drifting around corners is most definitely not the fast way around.

Topless - NNJR SCCA Autocross - 9/10/2011
Meadowlands, NJ - Photo Credit: Adrian Brown

NNJR SCCA Autocross - 9/10/2011
Meadowlands, NJ

At the next NNJ PCA event, the forecast was thunderstorms but we lucked out and got dry weather. Running street tires again (the RS3s we ran at the NJ ProSolo earlier in the year) for the reason I stated above but mostly because I got tired of pulling the tire trailer across the George Washington Bridge.

NNJR PCA Autocross - 9/25/2011
Meadowlands, NJ