Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Diff install and EVS diff mount collars

For some reason, January of 2012 was cold but still pretty dry out. No real snow to speak of so I took that opportunity to get more things done on the car. Since JDV was busy, I went to see Billman to install the new Puddymod Stage2 diff and EVS diff mount collars. 

Diff getting ready to be installed - 1/7/2012
Looks like my previous diff was leaking a bit from one of the fill bolts but it was also not operating as smoothly as it should. It was probably wear from all the events the previous year. 

New diff left, old diff right - 1/7/2012
The EVS diff mount collars stiffened things up a bit back there. You can definitely feel a slight difference when you shift. I'm not sure if I really needed this but since I was swapping diffs anyway, I figured this would be a cheap way to stiffen up the mounts without replacing them with polyurethane mounts.

EVS diff mount collars - 1/7/2012
Of course, since I was using an OSGiken diff, using OSGiken fluid was the way to go. In these cold temps though, it was as thick as molasses and Billman actually put it in a container (plastic one) and heated it in the microwave for a bit so it would be runny enough to get into the housing. 

OSGiken 80W-250 diff fluid - 1/7/2012
Puddymod gave specific instructions to run the diff for exactly 500 miles without pushing it hard then change the fluid before competing with it. Watching all this was Billman's awesome dog, Kajira. She really is one of the friendliest dogs I've ever met in my entire life but can definitely generate enough power to just crush bone :D

Kajira - 1/7/2012