Monday, December 2, 2013

Oil Management

Switching to Hoosiers had a pretty bad side effect on the AP1...a lot of oil dumping out of the PCV valve during high speed sweepers as the oil would climb up the side of the engine and get siphoned into the valve from the plate underneath the valve cover from all the grip. The solution was to install a catch can but I didn't want to fork out a lot of cash so I just did a DIY from one of those Kobalt air/water separators used in air compressors at Lowe's and mounted it between the radiator fans. It was quite effective but it really highlighted the problem. I could fill that "can" in only 8 runs. I was definitely dumping oil out.

DIY oil catch can - 8/14/2011
The further correct the prob, I switched to an AP2V1 (05-06) valve cover and PCV valve. Not only is this metal as opposed to plastic, it also sits horizontally so it doesn't siphon nearly as much oil out during hard cornering. Not a tough job at all and even I was able to do this myself in the garage with minimal tools.

AP1 valve cover - Vertically inserted PCV valve - 8/20/2011
AP1 valve cover removed - 8/20/2011
New AP2 valve cover with cranks sensors transferred over - 8/20/2011
AP2 PCV Valve - Notice horizontal placement - 8/20/2011
All done - 8/20/2011