Friday, August 14, 2026

Final mods for Bonnie...For Now

I'm finally done with all the modifications I wanted to make to Bonnie, at least for this year. First up was installing the factory heated grips. They're pricey but the best part is that they connect to the wiring that's already in the bike that not only heats the grips but also shows the status on the clock display.

Factory connector for the heated grips
Left side grip installed and connected

Switch for the heated grips installed

Next up I wanted to address some of the handlebSar ergonomics. I was getting a little bit of shoulder pain on long rides from reaching forward so I got 20mm Super Corse handle bar risers. I was also slightly bothered by the non-centered location of my phone when mounted on the handle bar quadlock mount so I bit the bullet and bought the billet aluminum quadlock handlebar clamp mount. It's an expensive piece but is beautifully made and perfectly centers the phone mount. Noting here that the bottom bolt for the clamp was torqued to 30Nm and the hex bolts for the clamp was torqued to 24Nm.

Thornton Hundred quadlock handlebar clamp mount

Quadlock anti-vibration and wireless charger

Super Corse 20mm handle bar riser

Riser installed

I've got a Dynamo Moto bike stand on the way to make it easier to move the bike around the garage so I needed rear bobbons for the stand. The Motone Axlerod bobbins are perfect for this. It goes through the hollow axle and has the added benefit of keeping dirt and gunk out of there. 

Moton Axlerod bobbins

For a little dress up with some functionality, I got a Moton oil cap and shift peg as well as a British Customs retro chain guard.

Motone oil cap

Moton shifter peg

British Customs Retro Chain Guard

Lastly, I still want a rear grab bar but the factory one I installed a few weeks ago blocks the brake light so I got a Motone grab bar instead which is curved up to not block anything. Oh yea, my new license plate arrived too ;)

Motone rear grab bar

While I was at it, I also adjusted the rear preload. The manual for the Fox shocks indicates that 0 preload is for an average rider (around 170-180lbs) and 7.75 turns for a 2 up ride situation. Since I weight 250lbs without gear, I set the preload to 6 turns. Overall the handling and comfort of the bike improved a lot and so did the ergonomics.

Maintenance Update:

Mileage: 684

- Factory heated grips
- 20mm handlebar risers
- Thornton Hundred Quadlock handlebar clamp mount
- Motone axlerod bobbins
- Motone oil cap
- Motone rear grab bar
- Motone shifter peg
- British Customs retro chain guard
- Rear springs adjusted to 6 turn preload