Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Fresh Stripes and Completed Chrome Delete

For some reason the previous owner left a cup imprint on one of the hood stripes that kept bothering me so I ended up ordering fresh stripes from Mini USA to swap in.

Annoying blemish

The process was simple enough but tedious. I marked off the edges using painter's tape and heated then peeled off the old stripes. The problem is that it still left a sticky residue on the hood so I spent a solid few hours using adhesive remover to get it all off before applying the fresh stripes.

Edged marked

Residue left from peeled stripes

New stripes applied

I also picked up some "blackout tape" for the beltline to finish off the chrome delete look. It was also tedious and I'm not sure I like the finished look up close but it'll do for now. I may end up just buying the real replacement black trim to do it right.

Applying blackout tape

However the complete look with everything de-chromed looks so good.

Final look with the blackout and fresh stripes