Saturday, May 27, 2023

JL Rubicon Steel Bumper

The factory plastic bumper on the wife's JK was quite scratched up by the previous owner and I had been looking for the 10th Anniversary steel front bumper for some time now but it's selling for a premium. After I learned that the JL Rubicon steel bumper is a direct fit, I went that route instead and saved several hundred over the 10th anniversary bumper in the process. 

Hooks scratched from shipping

Unfortunately the red hooks got scratched during shippping. It wasn't bad enough that I wanted to go through the process of shipping it all back for it to maybe just happen again. Instead, I picked up a can of Dupli-Color Perfect Match Chrysler in Flame Red (PR4) from Autozone and it's a perfect match. 

Perfect matching paint for the hooks

Perfect matching paint for the hooks

I sprayed on about 5 coats, waiting 30 or so minutes between coatings and you can't even tell I did anything.

Paint fixed

Installation itself was straight forward. I removed the OEM JK bumper and this one bolted right into the same place. It did come with OEM JL LED fog lights but apparently these don't work properly if your car is coded for LED lights. I also just recently installed the nice amber LED fog lights that I wanted but it doesn't bolt up directly to the JL steel bumper. To get around this, I picked up an adapter bracket from Amazon that allows you to bolt up OEM style bolt pattern fog lights into the JL steel bumper setup. The other advantage to using the aftermarket fog lights is that they already have longer cables meaning I didn't need to buy yet another pair of extension wires to make them work in their newer location further away from center.

Connect the amber LED fog lights to the adapter brackets

Bumper and foglights installed

Lights work great

Wiring loom zip tied to bumper


Clean install, even OEM plastic cover fits back in place

Also installed the Mopar bumper bar for it