Monday, May 15, 2023

Mini De-Chromed

I like cars with colors which is why the electric blue of the Mini works quite well. However, I'm not a big fan of all the chrome so I bought almost all the pieces needed to de-chrome. I did it over two days. The first day I just took care of some easy stuff like the emblems and the headlight and tail light trims.

Blacked out front emblem
Blacked our rear emblem, Cooper S emblem and tail light trim

I then went on to do the front grill trim and replaced the upper grill with a JCW grill with chili red stripe but opted to not put the JCW logo on (even though I have it on the back from the exhaust installation). I think it really makes the front look much more aggressive.

Front de-chromed

The previous owner also seemed to have managed to scuff the front passenger side fender trim. Since you need to unclip most of it to remove the front bumper anyway, I figured it would be little effort and cost to replace it with a brand new one.

Removed scuffed passenger front wheel arch trim

Lastly I replaced all the door handles and the fuel door cover with OEM piano black versions to complete the dechrome look. 

Replacing the door handles not just putting stick on black covers

Looking proper blacked out and front wheel trim replaced

Blacked out

The only bit of chrome left is the belt line. I want to replace it with the OEM black pieces but it's really expensive and almost not worth it so I'm going to attempt to just do a vinyl black cover first to see how it looks and if it doesn't look right, commit to the real replacement. The car also needs a slight drop but I've already got the solution for that. Just need time to get it installed.