Thursday, April 4, 2019

CEL Fixed

The car's actually been driving really well but ever since we did all the power adders in December of last year, I've sporadically been getting a CEL with codes p2098 and p2096 at idle which is the code for the pre-cat sensor being stuck too rich on either bank 1 or bank 2. The usual cause for this is the primary o2 sensor going bad so I ordered two new ones but Lee at Hybrid Motors took a look at the car in February and noticed that the fuel trim was off at idle and affecting both banks so he felt it was unlikely that both o2 sensors were having issues at the same time especially with the car generally running fine. I agreed to drop the car off to get it properly diagnosed at a future date but between being busy, out of town and having back to back events, I had to keep putting it off.

Finally getting the CEL fixed - 4/3/2019
First thing this morning I finally dropped her off to get this taken care off once and for all. Lee found that at idle, there wasn't enough vacuum going to the fuel pressure regulator causing the fuel pressure to be high (and remain high) when it was idling. He rerouted the vacuum lines and that finally fixed it. Fuel trims at idle and under load are all looking normal. I can distinctly hear a smoother idle and the exhaust note also changed a bit. I think we're finally sorted. The last thing I want is to have to keep dealing with is a random check engine light.

Dropping the car off at Hybrid Motors - 4/3/2019
While the car was there I also had them put in the LED license plate lights I bought a few months ago but have been too lazy to install. They're original Porsche OEM lights so they're a direct fit and easy replacement. They also don't cause any error codes that you sometimes get when you just swap the bulbs out.

New OEM LED license plate lights - 4/3/2019
New OEM LED license plate lights - 4/3/2019
New OEM LED license plate lights installed - 4/3/2019
I've already changed out every other bulb in the car to LEDs so this was the last ones that needed to be swapped out. I think they look pretty good.