Sunday, April 7, 2019

Post-Winter Maintenance

She's been under wraps for 4 months straight and last weekend I got a chance to take her out for a few hours to burn off the remaining fuel in the tank from last season, fill her up with some fresh fuel and in general let her stretch her legs. As much as I've been having fun prepping Kay the Cayman over the winter, it was very clear to me why I love this car so much. It's just so much more raw, nimble and responsive. It just brings such a big smile on my face every time I take her out.

SJF Performance - 4-7-2019
Today I went to SJF Performance to get her post-winter maintenance done which means changing the engine oil, trans fluid and diff fluid so we can start the season fresh. I didn't change the oil after Watkins Glen last year so I'm sending this oil sample into Blackstone labs for analysis to compare against my first baseline earlier last year. I also bought a limited production Mugen 1.5.2 throwback oil cap from King Motorsports as a little bit of engine bling since my oil black Mugen cap was starting to look a bit tired. 

Fresh Fluids - 4-7-2019

Mugen 1.5.2 oil cap

I had the wrong sized remote adjusters for the Ohlins FVD dampers shipped to me last year. They shipped replacement ones and I fixed the side by the spare tire location since that's easy to get so today we got to the side by the fuel filler neck since that side's a bit of a pain. To be honest I'm still not happy with these remote adjusters. They just don't feel as precise as they should be but I won't be adjusting the shocks much going forward so this is mostly a convenience item at this point. I also finally noted down what my shocks settings are since I don't recall every writing them down:

Front: 13
Rear: 17

Remote adjuster on left rear damper - 4-7-2019
Finally, it was time to her back on the alignment rack as I always do at the beginning of each season. Surprisingly the front didn't change much after a year of driving a few autox and track events but the rear toe was definitely out of spec, enough that I had to drive the wheel turned left about 10 degrees. That was quickly remedied by Steve and we're now back to perfect alignment handling like she should.

Alignment - SJF Performance - 4-7-2019
Alignment - SJF Performance - 4-7-2019
Alignment specs:

Front: 
Camber: -3
Caster: 4.3, 4.8
Toe: 0

Rear:
Camber -2.3
Toe: 0.06in per side (0.12in total) toe in

Now she drives perfectly again and just in time. Tomorrow we've got something a bit different lined up so stay tuned...

Maintenance Logs: 53,984 miles
- 6 qt Amsoil 10W-30
- 2 qt Amsoil Manual Transmission Fluid
- 1 qt 80W140 Diff fluid