Sunday, March 30, 2014

SCCA Solo Nationals 2012

Ok, well first off, this is about me and not Bumblestook since Bumblestook didn't make it to the Solo Nationals of 2012. Instead, I flew out to codrive Jon and Tory's S2000 in STR but I guess this was such a pivotal point in my life that it belongs here. Being a rookie at Nationals, I was immediately overwhelmed by the scale of the place and the magnitude of the event. It's all a bit of a blur for me even to this day. All I know is I was lucky enough to also have Mark and Lisa offer to share their room with me since this was a bit of a last minute decision. I was having pretty serious weight related health issues at the time though and had a really tough time walking but still managed to get in probably 20 course walks on each side even though it meant confining myself to the bed every evening. I wanted to do well...at the very least, I wanted to at least make mid-pack. That was a tall order for my first nationals and in a car I had never driven before especially since I'm not one to adapt to cars quickly.

SCCA Solo Nationals #93 STR - Lincoln, Nebraska - 9/4/2012
SCCA Solo Nationals #93 STR - Lincoln, Nebraska - 9/4/2012

SCCA Solo Nationals  #93 STR - Lincoln, Nebraska
9/4/2012

It was a complete blast! The car was very tough to drive but I did somehow magically end up mid-pack out of 50 or so drivers in STR that year and I do even get to say I even beat one of the course designers that year hehe. I made the decision right then and there that I would be back every year from here on out and in my own car! It was there I saw Jason Uyeda's car (BSP class champion 2012) for the first time. It looked so menacing and I knew that's the direction I wanted Bumblestook to go.

Uyeda's BSP S2000 - Lincoln, Nebraska - 9/4/2012