Monday, July 20, 2026

Fixing the Automatic Climate Control in Mando

One of the things that wasn't working on Mando was the automatic climate control. Yes, the heat and AC work bot only when manually set. The sensor for the automatic climate control is located the overhead console where the map lights are. Unfortunately you can't just buy a new sensor and finding a new overhead console is next to impossible. I took my out to get the part number and starting searching Ebay. The first part of the part number indicates what modules are enabled. Since I have the C55 AMG, I had pretty much everything imaginable including the SOS button so I can't just buy any W203 overhead console without also maybe decativating features it doesn't support so it doesn't throw an error. The last part of the part number after the slash is a color code.


I was able to find a used overhead console on Ebay with the exact part number I needed but with a slighly different shade of gray. It was cheap enough at under $100 so I figured it was worth a try. I was able to swap it in and sure enough, the automatic AC started working again. While it was out, I also switched the front and rear dome lights to LED.

Great condition used overhead console
Original console (left) vs Replacement console (right)

Maintenance Update:

Mileage: 79,722

- Replaced overhead center console