Friday, March 1, 2024

Timing belts and fixing leaks

Looking back at the records, looks like the timing belts were last done 5 years ago. That's a "long" time for a 944 so that was on the top of the list of maintenance items I wanted to take care of. I also found no evidence of the motor mounts ever being replaced so I got a new set of OEM Porsche motor mounts. You want to stay OEM on the motor mounts because they are fluid filled and provide the right amount of damping. The cheaper aftermarket mounts die very quickly especially the one that sits closest to the header from the heat.

Service work done at Hybrid Motors

I dropped the car off with Marcelo at Hybrid Motors last week and they were able to turn the car around in less than a week. I had them source the timing belt, water pump and new rollers and while they were in there I also had them replace the motor mounts. Good thing I did as they were seized up there and worn pretty badly. They appear to be the originals from 1991 so they were long overdue. I also continue to see both an oil leak and power steering leak from the car before dropping it off so I had them take a look at it. The power steering leak was coming from the hose going out of the power steering reservoir. This is a common failure point so a new hose was installed.

New power steering reservoir hose

For the oil leak, it turns out the factory oil cooler was leaking. We could've tried just replacing some seals but instead I had them acquire and replace the entire oil cooler to make sure everything was just new and perfect. If the outer seals are going, you don't know what else could fail internally and cause coolant and oil to mix. 

New OEM oil cooler installed

Another common wear item is the cam chain guide. I had them replace that as well along with a new valve cover gasket to make sure I don't get any leaks after that work gets done. This is nice preventative maintenance as cam chain guides are made of some kind of hard plastic that can disintegrate over time. Not something I want in the engine. 

Old cam chain guide looking very tired but intact

The engine is humming along smoothly now with no leaks to concern myself about. I know I'm going a little overboard but I do treat every car I own as something I might own for a very long time so I try to make sure they are all brought up to proper maintenance rather than wait for things to fail. 

Old oil cooler

Old rollers and seals

Old motor mounts, timing belts, PS hose


Maintenance Update

Mileage: 96,660

- New OEM timing belts
- New OEM water pump
- New OEM timing belt rollers
- New OEM oil cooler
- New OEM valve cover gasket
- New OEM cam chain guide
- New OEM motor mounts
- New power steering reservoir hose