Friday, April 8, 2022

Oil Pressure Sensor Fixes

My new oil pressure sender arrived the other day so last night while it was pouring out I thought it'd be a good time to get the car back together.

New AEM 100psi oil pressure sender

Since I applied a dab of hondabond on the threads to seal it better, I'd have to give it enough time to dry so letting it sit overnight was going to work well. 

New oil pressure sender installed

Since I took the VTEC solenoid apart last week, I ordered a new gasket kit from Kraken Automotive. I was surprised that the 17 year old gaskets that were in there were still pretty flexible and in decent shape. Still, rubber does eventually break down so getting this replaced now is probably a good thing. I applied a bit of fresh oil on the gasket and made sure it was all lined up, then torqued all the 10mm bolts down to 12Nm.

New VTEC solenoid gaskets

New lower gasket with screen installed.
Upper gasket also installed but not pictured

I double checked the wire going to the oil pressure sender and found two spots where the insulation had worn through. This might have actually been the cause of my issues. I taped them up and re-routes my wires to avoid this happening again.

Frayed insulation
More frayed insulation

Everything back together

During lunch today I put in fresh oil and took her out for a drive. Everything still works. I checked for leaks and there were none. Once warmed up I did a few pulls in VTEC and it was pulling hard with no problems at all. So far so good. I just need to put her through her paces and see if the problem reoccurs on track. I also got an 8GB MicroSD card for my IQ3 datalogger dash so that if this happens again I can look at the telemetry to see what I might not be catching on the screen. 

MicroSD installed ready to datalog

Maintenance Update:

Mileage: 60,875

- 6 quarts Amsoil 10W-30
- 1 new Honda oil filter (15400-PCX-306)
- 1 new AEM 100psi stainless oil pressure sender
- New VTEC solenoid gaskets (upper and lower)