Saturday, April 30, 2022

First Autocross with the DSC Sport Controller

Over the winter I installed the DSC sport controller and 3-axis accelerometer in the Cayman but never got around to properly testing it. An autocross with the NNJR SCCA seemed like the best way to really put it to the test. I completely forgot what tire pressures I run which apparently was supposed to be 27psi all around based on my old notes but I initially ran 30/32psi which made the car extremely loose. I lowered it down to 30/31psi and that made it more balanced especially as the tires heated up. 

NNJR SCCA Autocross - 4-30-2022

Let's forget about tire pressures for a second and let me focus on my observations about the DSC sport controller. I could immediately tell that it was able to handle bumps and undulations much better than before and the nose didn't dive as much under braking. It's definitely a big help but my two year old Yokohamas are starting to show their age. I felt that the dampers were capable of so much more but the tires couldn't give me the grip I needed. Under braking, the 235s up front just aren't enough to get the car slowed down fast enough and I kept overshooting corners probably made worse by the fact that I've been driving the S2000 more which has much shorter braking distances. This hurt me in the transition as well as the reduced lateral grip made it hard to quickly change directions in the slaloms. The tires are worn enough that I should probably get new ones soon so I may change my tire sizes to have a more optimal setup.


NNJR SCCA Autocross - 4-30-2022

Also, since I can no longer run in STU with the Bilstein Damptronics coilovers with the DSC sport controller, I've started to run in XS-A (Extreme Sport A) instead. This is convenient because technically all my other autocross capable such as the S2000 and 911 are all legal in this class as well which mean I just need one set of numbers and class letters and I can just choose which ever car I want to have fun with on any given weekend.