Saturday, April 16, 2022

First Autocross of 2022 - Oil and Tire Testing

I wanted to see if the fixes I made to Bumblestook resolved my oil pressure reading issues so the first autocross of 2022 with the NNJR SCCA seemed like the perfect place to give it a go. It would also be a great way to test out how the new Continental ExtremeContact Force would be as an autocross tire. 

NNJR SCCA - 4-16-2022

The first good news is that it seems that my oil pressure issues are gone. I got the oil nice and hot and really pushed the car and not once did the oil warning light go on. Since my head and eyes are constantly moving around at an autocross course, I checked my videos just to make sure I didn't miss any occurrences of it and I'm glad to report there were none.

Bumblestook @ NNJR SCCA Autocross - 4-16-2022

As far as tire testing was concerned, I will say that these tires live up to their "Enduro" focus in that they take quite a while to get up to temp (about 4 runs in 70F ambient temperatures, single driver) but they did seem to be ok with heat after that. I also found that they liked lower pressures and ended up running 28psi front and 27psi rear to get neutral balance. They tended to be a make a bit more noise at the limit than I'm used to with the Yokohama A052 but I think that's fine because I could use it to easily hear when I was at the limit of grip. Overall, I think they're decent summer tires but are far better suited for track use which isn't surprising at all since that's what they were made for.