Saturday, August 8, 2020

Brake Maintenance and Plaid Rear Seat Cushions

After the brake fluid debacle I had at Watkins Glen in the Cayman last month, I didn't want another repeat of that with Bumblestook. I'll be at NJMP Lightning later this month with S2K Takeover and I really don't want any issues so I went to see SJF today so we could flush the brakes and give the car a once over.

Time for Brake Maintenance - SJF Performance - 8-8-2020
One thing we immediately noticed was that the front passenger side brake duct hose had torn. I hadn't planned on this but thankfully I had a spare so that was a quick swap in. I may have to find some better hoses since I really don't like how brittle these ones get with age.

Torn brake duct hose
Replaced with new hose
For the brake flush, I switched from ATE to Motul RBF660 after having good experience with it now in the Cayman in very hot temperatures. Thankfully, SJF still had the modified S2000 brake reservoir cap he put together for this car a few years ago so we could pressure bleed the system easily.

Ready for pressure bleed/flush
The color of the Motul RBF660 is a bit darker than the ATE fluid in the car which, despite its age, still looked really clean. This made it easy to tell that all the old fluid had cycled out.

Old fluid out
That worked out quite nicely and the brakes feel super nice and tight again so we're all ready to let it rip in a few weeks.

Plaid Rear Seat Cushions by GTS Classic
I also got in touch with Stefan at GTS Classic a few weeks ago asking him if he could make up some rear seat cushions in the same material he used for the front seats he made for Scarlett. Thankfully he still had some fabric left and made these fabulous pieces. No one's going to be sitting back there due to the rollbar but I think it adds a nice complete touch to the interior.

Love it when things just match perfectly
Subtle but important detail