Saturday, February 15, 2020

Bye Suspension Squeaks

I really loved the design of the 034 Motorsports Dynamic+ Camber Mounts for the GTi but I just couldn't stand the random squeaks you'd get when turning the wheel while stopped or at really low speeds (like driving around a garage, etc). The rest of the time while in motion they were flawless but these low speed squeaks eventually got me because it made the car sound really cheap so I eventually gave up and decided to replace them with a set of fresh OEM Sachs front strut mounts and bearings. Thankfully SJF Performance had some time today so we got it done.

New OEM strut mounts being installed - 2-15-2020
SJF Performance
New Strut Mount - 2-15-2020
New Strut Bearing - 2-15-2020
Of course this meant that I was going to lose a bit of the negative camber I gained with the 034 Motorsports mounts but since this is really just my fun "daily", then it wasn't the end of the world. What would a trip to SJF to do suspension work be without also getting an alignment and so I continue my trend of generally being the first car on the alignment rack for the season.

Everything re-installed and buttoned up - 2-15-2020
Getting aligned - 2-15-2020 - SJF Performance
The car had about an inch of toe out up front after going back to the OEM mounts so that had to be zeroed out and I was still happy that due to the car sitting lower on the Eiback ProKit springs, I still had a respectable -1.3 degrees of camber up front. I'm glad to report no more stupid squeaks. The car now sounds refined again like a proper German car should be.

I also figured that if the car was going to be in the lift, it was time to replace the last bit of fluid the previous owner had changed for me prior to selling it, the engine oil.

Time to get the oil changed - 2-15-2020
Liqui Moly 5W-40 
VW wins the "tiny" fill hole award? 2-15-2020 
I'm trying out this Liqui Moly 5W-40 "Molygen" oil. I'll probably send it in for oil analysis on my next oil change.

Maintenance Updates:

Mileage: 54,426

- New Mann oil filter
- 6 quarters Liqui Moly 5W-40 Molygen