Saturday, February 29, 2020

Passed NYS Emissions Finally!!!

There is absolutely nothing emissions illegal in the Cayman but I haven't been able to get it inspected because ever since I modded the car for STU at the end of 2018, I've had on and off P2196 and P2198  (bank 1 or 2 pre-cat O2 sensor stuck rich) check engine lights. I made so many changes it was really hard to pinpoint the cause but for sure I had a variety of exhaust leaks from the generic gaskets provided with the Soul Performance street header. I eventually changed them all to OEM Porsche gaskets and I definitely don't have a leaks anymore but the CEL still came back...argh!!!

Reloading the Tune - 2-23-2020
Also, it seemed like no matter how many miles I'd drive the secondary air would never set readiness. Obviously between the recurring CEL that I'd have to reset and readiness not setting, I couldn't get the car to pass NYS emissions inspection despite nothing actually being wrong with the car. Well, I stumbled across one random post on Rennlist where someone had a similar issue and it was related to his tune and reloading it fixed the issue. Last week, before heading out to PCA Tech Tactics East, I loaded the stock tune back and then reloaded my FVD tune and lo and behold, within just 40 minutes of driving, no pending codes and all the readiness codes set.

Ready for Inspection - 2-23-2020
OBDLink with bluetooth OBD2 reader
I drove the car another 200 miles that day to PA and back and today drove the car to Camber Toe Performance in Lynbrook to get inspected today and passed with no issues. I don't think I've ever felt this relieved since we brought Bumblestook back to being street legal in early 2018. Anyway, the real point of this post isn't that I passed the annual emissions inspection but rather as a reference for anyone else that runs into this issue on their 987 Cayman. If everything else looks mechanically sound and you've done everything including changing your O2 sensors and put in new OEM gaskets, maybe you just need to reload your tune.