Sunday, March 3, 2019

New Tail Lights and More

Admittedly, I'm getting to some pretty dumb stuff in this build since the car is for the most part done in the performance department. It's nothing bad, but I'm just doing little cosmetic things because I can't leave anything alone apparently. Last year as soon as I got the car I put on Porsche OEM all red tail lights. As far as OEM lights are concerned, I preferred the all red look. However, as I've spent more time than I care to admit looking at Caymans, I decided to switch to LED rear tail lights. I'm pretty sure they're all pretty much made by the same place in Taiwan so the brand doesn't matter too much but I made sure that it had an OEM like appearance. I also wanted OEM connectors and have integrated resistors so I wouldn't get any errors that my lights were out or have them flash unnecessarily fast. I opted for these "Rosso Burgundy" lights by VIPMOTOZ through Amazon.

OEM all red (left) vs LED tail lights (right)
Unlike the Depo ones I had seen online these have an OEM like finish with no crazy exposed wires in the back and a plug-n-play OEM connector. Very nice! Who knows how long they'll last but I kept my OEM ones aside anyway just in case.

New tail lights have OEM like connectors and mounts
It's super easy to swap out rear tail lights in a Cayman so it only took a few minutes for each side and I think it really changes the way the rear looks for the better. Took her out for a test drive. Now errors and blinkers are normal speed. I also put a camera on a tripod so I could make sure all the lights were operating properly and it looks like they do so I'm satisfied.

LED tails (left) vs OEM Red (right)

Both LED lights installed - 3-3-2019

Video of tail lights working - 3-3-3019

I also finally put in the Lloyd's black with yellow stitching floor mats in. They had originally sent me the wrong mats but the new mats fit perfectly. Yes, I'm continuing with the "splash of yellow" theme for the interior.

Lloyd's mats installed
Since I don't wear a HANS device for autocross, I still wanted some comfort when wearing the harness so I just got the 3" wide harness pads from Schroth (obviously I still use the OEM 3-pt on the street for safety).

Schroth 3" harness pads
And lastly as a maintenance item, I changed out the wiper blades. The last time I drove her in the rain, the old ones were squeaking pretty badly and I have no record when they were last replaced so might as well put in fresh ones. The car is 12 years old after all. Ignore the dustiness of the car, she really needs a good wash soon.

New Bosch wiper blades
Maintenance Updates:

Mileage: 34,664
- Change wiper blades with Bosch 582S (OEM style replacements)