Sunday, February 24, 2019

Disabling TPMS

Since I can't fit TPMS sensors on my new wheels, I opted to just disable TPMS altogether. It's nice to have but ultimately it's more of an annoyance. Porsche configures the tire pressures based on stock tires and if you run something different that might require different pressures you can't change what your target tire pressures should be. I followed the steps in this Rennlist post which was pretty straightforward.

TPMS module exposed - 2-24-2019
The major difference is that on the Cayman the screws are just phillips head screws and not torx holding down the big plastic cover in the frunk. Once the TPMS module was exposed, I just had to remove the 11mm nut, then disconnect the wire going to the module. There shouldn't be any water getting into here but just in case I wrapped the connector in a small plastic bag.

Wire to TPMS module disconnected - 2-24-2019
I bought Durametric Pro a few months ago so I could code whatever I wanted on the car and so far I've only used it to disable the annoying seat belt chime. I'm glad I got it because it makes it really easy to disable TPMS from the system.

Uninstall TPMS from Instrument Cluster
Uninstalled TPMS from Gateway
A final reset of the instrument cluster and voila no more complaints about the disconnected TPMS module.