Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Ride Height, Alignment and PS Pulley

Events are on the calendar for the end of March already so time is up. I needed to finish off the remaining mechanical items still left on the build check list so I dropped Kay off with Speed Sport Tuning in CT again this past weekend. Bryan and his team were kind enough to slot me in right away and get the car back to me in just a few days.

New ride height - 3-13-2019
It's been about a month since SST installed the coilovers and LSD and I've driven close to 500 miles since then so the springs have adequately settled. Now it was time to really set the ride height. I opted for a bit more reverse rake and lower the rear an additional 15mm. Not only does this look better but  I was advised that Caymans like having the weight biased like this. It looks pretty good with the stock 19s but the Advans on a 255/265 18" setup is a smaller diameter so the gaps will appear "stock" to the untrained eye once I put those on. I then had them re-align the car back to the original spec I gave them since the springs settling shifted some of those value.

ERP under-drive pulley and smaller serpentine belt - 3-13-2019
While they had the car anyway, I had them also install an under-drive pulley and smaller serpentine belt for the power steering pump. This one's made by ERP and sold by Tarett Engineering and includes a new OEM pulley bolt. I already helped improve reliability by installing a power steering cooler early on in the build, but installing this under-drive pulley also prevents the PS pump from over-spinning at high revs and causing all kinds of well documented power steering issues. The added benefit is that it also frees up some power so it's a win-win all around.

The days are getting longer, the temps slowly warmer and the snow and salt are all but gone so I think it's time to put the summer/competition wheels and tires on and get her fully ready for her 2019 debut.

Maintenance Updates:

Mileage: 34,760
- Under-drive PS pulley
- New serpentine belt