Sunday, August 9, 2015

Countdown to Nats 2015: Trailer Prep

It's less than a month to go before the SCCA Solo National Championships in Lincoln, Nebraska. For me, this involves a 3000 mile round trip drive towing Bumblestook to and from this event. The last thing I need is a trailer break down somewhere in middle America so the first order of business is to get my trailer up to par. I bought my trailer new 2 years and over 10,000 miles ago so a good look at the brakes, bearings, suspension and tires is long overdue. I decided to take it to friend and NASA Honda Challenge racer, Spencer, to sort it all out for me since he has plenty of experience with this stuff.

Shackes going bad - 8/8/2015
Many of the bushings were worn pretty badly and the holes in the shackles were no longer circular, they had turned oval causing play in the suspension. The bearings were surprisingly still in good shape but with everything apart and the parts being cheap, it made sense to replace the bearings with new ones anyway and put fresh grease everywhere.

Bushings/Caps starting to crumble - 8/8/2015
In the end, all bearings, races, seals, bushings, shackles and hardware were replaced. The breaks were still in great shape so there was nothing to do there. The tires are also shot so I ordered new wheels and tires and will be putting that on before the trip. Big thanks to Spencer for the quick turnaround. This is one less thing I'll have to worry about on my trip.

Trailer maintenance done - 8/8/2015