Saturday, June 6, 2015

AP1 Transmission Testing

It started off as a miserable rainy day that was not something to look forward to when you get up at 5am to go to an event but we got lucky and the skies finally cleared and the sun came out so by the time our heat started, the lot was bone dry. I did an easy first run to makes everything was working fine and thankfully, the transmission felt smooth, gears engaged as you'd expect and I was able to start pushing it.

NNJR SCCA Autocross - 6/5/2015
Meadowlands, NJ

The taller gearing shifts the torque curve somewhat which I found actually smoothed out the power so I could get on it even sooner. Fortunately, even in some of the relatively tighter digs, I didn't find Bumblestook lacking in power. Where it really shined was in the back section where I soon found myself at the top of 2nd gear hitting the limiter, a very useful bump in top speed which yielded very good raw time results. I was able to consistently set times that comfortably placed her 2nd in RAW time out of 101 drivers.

Top Raw results - 6/5/2015
We got 8 runs today but it ended up being 10 runs for me due to reruns. This is not typical for NNJR SCCA but I'm glad we did since I got to put her through the paces. Since we normally don't get these many runs, I didn't think the tires would heat up enough so I didn't bring my tire sprayer. It was unfortunate since I couldn't find more time out there in my later runs due to tires getting greasy. I was able to try a few launches and she held beautifully. Once we get her on the lift again for the next alignment, we'll be able to recheck the driveshaft bolts to see if there was any shifting that happened. At least from inside the cockpit, everything continues to feel nice and tight. This was most definitely an overdue modification that I'm certain will pay good dividends in Ohio in a few months.

Fastest run today - 44.421 seconds
NNJR SCCA Autox - 6/5/2015