Monday, September 4, 2023

Changing Spark Plugs on the Mini

Anytime I get a "new to me" vehicle, I'll typically change the spark plugs no matter what the mileage is so I know exactly when it was last replaced. I'm fairly certain the plugs on the Mini were changed on schedule so I didn't feel the need to immediately do it but I still wanted to get it done so I know exactly what I'm starting with and what's in there.

E8 torx socket needed to remove the coils

You need an 8mm (E8) Torx socket. Unlike the GTi, getting the coils off was nice and easy and you didn't have to worry about having the rubber part get stuck in there if you didn't get the car a little warm before attempting to remove them. 

Coils removed

You also need a special 14mm thin wall 12-point spar plug socket to get the spark plugs out.

Old spark plugs look alright

The plugs need to be torqued it down to 23Nm +/- 3Nm and the bolt for the coils is 8Nm.  

Maintenance Update:

Mileage: 71,436
- 4 New Beru 12120040551 spark plugs