Friday, September 9, 2022

New Battery Already?

Three years ago when we did a Stage 2 on the GTi, I had a new battery installed just for peace of mind. Well, last week the car started to fail to start but fired up right away when hooked up to a booster. Granted, I don't drive it that much and never really put it on at ender so I think over the years it didn't really get a chance to charge fully and I'm sure that contributed to the battery's early demise. I put the car on a tender and had it full charge and it worked for a while but sure enough yesterday, the same thing happened. I also noticed that on my P3 gauge, when the car is running, the voltage was showing around 13.6-13.8V. Normally I see this at a constant 14V with the alternator running so clearly the battery wasn't happy. Ended up changing it out to a new Duralast Platinum battery. Normally the GTi takes an H6 battery but I guess what I had in there before was an H5 so I went with another H5 since both work just fine. 

New Duralast Platinum Battery for the GTi - 9-9-2022

When change the battery on this thing you get all kinds of lights going off on the dash complaining about ESC and TPMS. A quick drive reset everything and the car is back to being error free. I think I'll stick the car on the tender every few weeks when I don't drive it as much to make sure the battery stays healthy this time around. 

Maintenance Update:

Mileage: 76,761

- New H5 Duralast Platinum AGM battery (Date code 6/22)