Saturday, May 1, 2021

Not Slow, Not Fast Either

We're now only one week away until the SCCA NJ Championship Tour and we got blessed with some really nice weather (albeit a bit on the chilly side with the stiff winds). To try and inspire me to drive a little harder, I drove Bumblestook there, hoping maybe some of her aura would give me a little extra speed...It didn't :(

NNJR SCCA Autocross - 5-2-2021

One major change we made at this event was to stop spraying the tires. There seems to be mixed feelings about whether these tires need cooling or not but as Kenny Roller has been showing, they don't seem to drop off pace even after hot lapping so it made sense for us to give it a try. Sure enough, we got faster and the grip stayed quite good even as they heated up.

Fun times with the Tatis Motorspots FRS again

While I wasn't necessarily slow, I wasn't particular fast either. We finished 2nd and 3rd again just like last weekend and 9th and 15th in PAX respectively. At a NNJR event that's actually pretty good but it might not be enough to podium next weekend (for me at least). I'm definitely still a bit timid on my launches. I think I have a hard time accepting beating on a car that isn't mine. That's leaving a few tenths right off the line. There were also sections of the faster sweepers where the car could've taken a bit more throttle despite the tires starting to scream a little. I partly blame allergies from all the pollen flying around and dealing with the subtle effects of my 2nd vaccine shot yesterday but no excuses here, I left time on the table that I can't afford to do next week. We'll need to really have good plan in place to find that fast line early, drive with maximum aggression and make no mistakes. 

Our fastest runs - NNJR SCCA

STX Results