Sunday, May 16, 2021

Kay - Autocross with MSNE

As fun as it's been codriving with Rad the past few events, I was itching to take one of my own cars out. An autocross with MSNE is a perfect event for that since I don't really care about classing so I took Kay out for her first event this year. 

MSNE Autocross - Meadowlands, NJ - 5-16-2021

I have to say it was slightly weird getting back in it. I forgot what tire pressures to run, I forgot to turn off PSM and turn on PASM my first run. I even forgot what rpm I typically start the car from haha. It was a fun, fast course and as much as PASM with the Bilstein Damptronics is very nice, they're just not really setup to handle the kinds of bumps and undulations in Lot J. Some early aggressive runs were not rewarded as I found myself mostly sideways as the bumps unsettled the car. If I got hard on the brakes at the wrong bumpy spot, I'd find myself almost instantly triggering ABS and blowing past the gate. 

MSNE - 5-16-2021

I think for me, the most noticeable difference getting back in the Cayman from the FRS besides the obvious torque advantage of the Cayman was the weight. The FRS is much more nimble in an autocross setting simply because it has less weight to throw around. Aside from hurting agility, that extra weight has seriously repercussions when you autocross on a non-flat surface where those sudden dips and bumps can really get the car unsettled. That being said, I really did miss and enjoy the mid-engine feel. Nothing quite like that feeling of the car rotating around you. I got plenty sideways and it was just so easy to catch, stay in it and recover. I'm sure it looked cool on the outside but that's rarely the fastest way around the course.