Friday, May 28, 2021

Garage Build - New Openers

I got to spend a little bit of time in the garage today trying to inch this project forward while I select an appropriate contractor and architect. This is not going to be fancy garage. At best it'll be a nice garage to spend time in. First up was to get rid of the old garage door openers. Having loved the Chamberlain belt drive smart garage openers at the other garage for a few years, I figured I'd do the same here except with their 1.25HP version and bright LED lighting. The extra bit of power will come in handy in the future when the doors get upgraded. With limited space, I wanted make sure things had as much dual purpose as possible. The 4 sets of LED lights between the two garage opener units provide more than enough light to fill the space. Big thanks to Glen at Precision Overhead Garage Door for making quick work out of this. 

Chamberlain B1381T Smart Garage Door Openers

On top of the convenience of being able to remotely open/close the door from anywhere I have Internet and having quiet operation, the most important reason why I like smart openers is I can immediately tell if the garage is open or not rather than second guess if I forgot to close it after leaving. The previous owner installed a pair of hanging light fixtures because the old garage door openers were woefully inadequate for illumination. Moving them back a few feet now gives me more even light distribution. I think I just need to add a pair of lights closer to where the doors are to give me complete coverage when all the doors are down. I have a few ideas but I'll wait until the electrical work is done. 

Much better light coverage now

Of course, you know I wouldn't put my cars in a garage without adequate surveillance. A few strategically placed cameras now give me all the coverage I need. Let's be real though, these are more for me to look at the cars than any real safety concerns I have. 

Wyze V3 camera for this angle

Unfortunately that's all I really had time for. I know this one's going to be another "patience needed" projects so for now I'm just doing what I can to make it minimally functional.