Sunday, August 11, 2019

Whack-A-Rattle

With some downtime in racing, I figured I'd take the opportunity to take care of a few things on Bumblestook. First I took out the passenger seat. It's being lent to a friend for Nationals. This was also convenient for me since I've been meaning to take care of some things on the passenger side and having the seat out of the way means I had more room to easily access various panels. 

Passenger seat wrapped up to loan out - 8/10/2019
The passenger side hardtop weather stripping was sagging so it needed replacement. I've had the part for some time now and it was an easy enough swap. I'm surprised that these are just held on by a screw on both ends and friction. I'm going to have to leave the window up for some time to let it fully set. 

New hardtop weather stripping - 8/10/2019
New hardtop weather stripping - 8/10/2019
New hardtop weather stripping installed - 8/10/2019
Next up was finally chasing this super annoying buzzing/rattle at 4500 rpms coming from the passenger side. I've been dealing with it for months and it's been driving me nuts. It takes away some enjoyment from driving the car and I often just put the windows down so the wind noise drowns it away. Well after checking every panel, I finally found the source. The top clip of the passenger side A-pillar was completely missing. I replaced it with a temporary clip and added some foam tape and took it for a test drive and I can finally drive with the windows up again without wanting to shoot myself. I'll order a new clip to fully secure it. 

Source of the rattle - missing A-pillar clip
I was also finally able to test out my new Quickjack 5000SLX. I was told that the 110V version doesn't have the same lifting speed as the 12V version but it lifted the car up super easily and at a height where I can slide underneath on a creeper with no issues (and I'm not a small guy). I was trying to find the source of a weird metal on metal knocking sound when inching forward or backward. I found nothing loose which is good since I was worried it was my diff going bad. I ended up driving the car to SJF Performance to have Steve give it a look and it seems that the passenger side rear upper control arm solid metal bushing has some play in it. At least I know now this is just an annoyance rather than a safety issue so I'm clear to take her back to the track but I'll likely get this replaced before the next track day in late September.

Hooray for QuickJack and no more scary jack stands - 8/10/2019