Saturday, June 1, 2019

Spoiler Alert

One thing I've always loved on Porsches are ducktail rear spoilers. I know it's not for everyone and that a low spoiler like this has no added performance advantage but I've always loved how they change the shape of the rear of the car. I ordered one from Dave Sodergren of Precision Design Plastics in Washington. He doesn't have a website and only sells through the forums. He makes them in small batches so I was on the wait list for a few months but it finally came. I dropped it off with Eric at K2 Auto Body to get it painted and as always did a fantastic job with the color match.

Ducktail Rear Spoiler - 6/1/2019
It's a pretty simple install. You just remove the seven Torx T20 bolts holding the OEM spoiler on and bolt on the new spoiler. It uses a different thread pitch so you need to use new bolts they supply and they recommended using Loctite blue to make sure the bolts don't vibrate off.

OEM spoiler removed

Ducktail Rear Spoiler - 6/1/2019
Ducktail Rear Spoiler - 6/1/2019
Ducktail Rear Spoiler - 6/1/2019
Yes, I'm fully aware the spoiler isn't STU "legal" so for Nationals this year I'm going to be putting the OEM spoiler back on. The rest of the time I'm leaving this on because I think it looks great.

Ducktail Rear Spoiler - 6/1/2019
I also think the front of the Cayman looks too mild. I really like the OEM aerokit front lip but it's just too pricey for something that's effectively a cone bumper for me. Precision Design Plastics also makes a OEM aerokit style front lip that is STU legal so I ordered a set as well. It's a subtle change but makes the front a bit more aggressive.

OEM stock front lip
Aerokit-style front lip - 6-1-2019
I had it shipped gel coated black and didn't paint it since I think it already blends nicely black. Plus it's going to probably hit a lot of cones so I'd rather just paint it in the future once it's had enough battle damage. The OEM lip is only held on by three plastic rivets underneath and the new lip attaches the same way with new plastic rivets plus a self tapping screw by the wheel well.

Aerokit-style front lip - 6-1-2019
Aerokit-style front lip - 6-1-2019
Aerokit-style front lip - 6-1-2019
Big thanks to Alex for helping me with the front lip install. I think that's it for "external mods" for a while. I'm finally happy with how she looks now and it's always a good sign when you need to look back once or twice after you park the car.