Friday, June 14, 2019

Fresh Brakes

I certainly don't expect stock Cayman brakes to stop like track pads do, nor do I want an overly aggressive pad for autocross since it'll be harder to modulate at lower speeds and I'll likely bleed too much speed coming into corners. However, I've found Kay's brakes to be a bit wanting. Braking zones are where time can be gained or lost so being able to have more effective control over braking is a must.

New Brakes - 6-14-2019
New Brakes - 6-14-2019
Considering that the stock brake pads and rotors have been on the car for over 12 years now I don't think that's helping. During my last trip to Speedsport Tuning, I was told that my front pads were starting to get low (though not low enough to trigger the wear sensor yet) and I just took that as a signal to finally freshen things up. I don't know why Porsche uses drilled rotors other than they look cool but for any performance application, it simply opens up more opportunities for cracking. To avoid this, I went with Sebro (OEM supplier) slotted rotors front and rear from FCP Euro.

Fresh front slotted rotors - 6-14-2019
Fresh front slotted rotors - 6-14-2019
Fresh rear slotted rotors - 6-14-2019
For brake pads, I chose the OEM rear pads but for the front, I opted to try the OEM Cayman R front pad kit from Suncoast Parts. These are a slightly more aggressive compound and should give better initial bite.

New front and rear pads - 6-14-2019
Cayman R front pads - 6-14-2019
Stock Cayman S rear pads - 6-14-2019
The Cayman R front pad kit also came with a new brake spring kit and wear sensors. I don't think I technically needed to replace mine at this mileage but since they already came with the kit why not.

New brake spring kit - 6-14-2019
New front wear indicators - 6-14-2019
Finally, while I was ordering stuff anyway, a nice brake upgrade for 987 Caymans are the 997 GT3 brake ducts. These simply replace the OEM air deflectors on the lower control arms to help cool the brakes better and are direct plug 'n play. These aren't needed for autocross at all but they're a surprisingly cheap upgrade that'll come in useful for future non-autocross activities.

Stock brake duct (top)
GT3 front brake ducts (bottom)
GT3 front brake ducts installed - 6-14-2019
Since we have an event with NEPA SCCA tomorrow at the Poconos, I dropped Kay off with Lee at Hybrid Motors today to get everything done. I did buy new Motul RBF600 Fluid but since we just bled the breaks when the new stainless brake lines were installed earlier this year, we didn't re-bleed the brakes again today so I'll hang onto the new fluid for next time.

Maintenance Updates:

Mileage: 35,610
- New Sebro slotted front and rear rotors
- New Cayman R front brake pads
- New stock Cayman S rear brake pads