Friday, May 17, 2024

New Oil Pressure Relief Valve

In January I changed the O-Ring and washer on the Oil Pressure Relieve Valve (OPRV) to fix a leak coming from it hoping that the valve itself or internal o-ring hadn't gone bad but it started to leak again so I decided to bite the bullet this time and just replace the whole unit altogether. Given how brittle the outer O-ring was, I suspect the inner one was just as bad and likely not holding the pressure as badly. 

Original OPRV (top) vs New Rennbay OPRV (bottom)

Rennbay makes a complete replacement that includes all new O-rings and washers at half the cost of the Porsche unit so I went with that ($225 vs $500). I've gone with Porsche or OEM sourced components or better up to now so why go with Rennbay here. Cost is one thing but from what I've seen so far the Rennbay kit is solid and replacing this bolt is a 5 minute affair so even if I had to change this again in the future I'd still be way ahead. After replacing the OPRV I took the car for a 50 mile drive and it was still dry so I think we're in good shape. I also noticed the dash oil pressure was looking more correct (a little over 4 at cruising). The old one would sometimes go to 5 and I think it may have been over pressurizing.

Maintenance Update:

Mileage: 96,993

- New Rennbay OPRV and washer