Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Season Ender at Watkins Glen

This is our last year at Watkins Glen with S2K Takeover so I wanted to bring Bumblestook out. While the weather wasn't overly cold, day 1 was just rain all day making it a bit miserable especially as it would stop raining and then rain again just as the track was showing some signs of drying. 

Watkins Glen International - 10-16-2023

I didn't care though, a wet track day at The Glen is still loads more fun than a day at the office so I went out almost every session and just being mindful of the significantly reduced grip. After all, wet driving is excellent driver training.

Watkins Glen International - 10-16-2023

We went to Grist Iron Brewing Company for dinner which would've been a really good spot with a view but alas the rain just kept relenting.

Grist Iron Brewing Company

Day 2 was nice. The sun actually came out to dry the track by the 2nd session. I don't know if the rain the day before was messing with my head or my random oil pressure warning light kept distracting me but I found it hard to get really comfortable and I clocked in my best time that was 10 seconds slower than my time last year in the Cayman. 

Watkins Glen International - 10-17-2023

I also had a weird thing happen where I got some oil spray from my oil catch can. Somehow some oil had worked its way through the filter and then got sucked through my hood vents onto my windshield. That also was not comforting. I'm going to spend this winter going over every aspect of the car. My current theory is that the check valve for the catch can drain isn't opening up quickly enough. I don't think I even need that valve so I may just ditch it. 



Some oil escaping my catch can

Overall those, it was such a blast and I'm going to have to figure out another club to run with next year since I need to get my annual "Glen" fix. 

Another successful event at The Glen



2nd session day 2 - 2:24