Monday, April 17, 2023

Autocross with NNJR SCCA

It's now been 7 months since my last autocross and I've become hilariously out of sync with what I need to bring to events. I remembered to bring my helmet but forgot my magnetic numbers so I had to go full rookie mode with tape number and class letters like the good old days.

NNJR SCCA - 4-16-2023
Photo by: Autox4u

Weather was quite pleasant in the high 60s / low 70s with unusually low winds at the Meadowlands. We got to run Lot E which is a treat nowadays. The club was thankfully able to secure this lot to let people do some testing and prepare for the upcoming NJ SCCA ProSolo. While this doesn't have the most grip level of all the lots typically available to us, the bigger space means the potential for faster and more interesting courses and Simmons, the course designer, delivered.

In grid

The course was flowing, fast, and fun. All the Fs I really care most about. Since no one else was in XSA I didn't really have any competition so my goal was just to keep improving with each run, finding more time, fixing mistakes, etc. 

Sweet tape job bro
Photo by: Autox4u
Let's gooooo
Photo by: Autox4u

I ran 28psi all around but I think the car responded better when the pressures went up a bit. Looking at my old notes, I ran 29psi at Watkins Glen so maybe I need to stick with 29 or 30psi even though these RE-71RS have stiff sidewalls. It just felt a bit more planted when I let it go up to 30psi and the rear was sliding a bit more at 28. I got my time down to a 54.321 which was a fun time to end up with. Hopefully I can get some more events in before we get started with the garage project.

NNJR SCCA Autocross - 4-16-2023