Saturday, September 25, 2021

The Return of Bumblestook to Autocross

The last time I took Bumblestook to an autocross was in 2018 shortly after we completed the build and had the car painted. Obviously, she hasn't been idle this entire time We've had plenty of fun drives and track days since then but for autocross, I've either been driving the Cayman or co-driving in Rad's FRS. 

NNJR SCCA Autocross - 9/25/2021
Photo By: Perry Aidelbaum

However, with the gorgeous weather today I simply couldn't resist taking her out again for some fun and nostalgia. Left the hardtop at home and let her go to town on course. She's obviously not as fast as her prime days in BSP but she still gives me all the good vibes. Like putting on old pair of jeans, it was just comfortable, very familiar, very rewarding. No longer competitively classed, I just ran in whatever SCCA class she happened to end up in based on the rule book which is SSM (T for street tire). But she's basically an STR car so I was comparing my times with STR just to see how far off I was for being rusty. Not bad for a car on old tires and set up more like a grand touring track car than a purpose build competition car. 

NNJR SCCA Autocross - 9/25/2021
Photo By: Perry Aidelbaum

Ironically my fastest time was with Rad in the car with me. He's seriously gotten very quick this past year so maybe I needed his mojo to egg me on. I had a great time. I hadn't autocross since Spring so I was feeling super rusty but I was feeling very comfortable driving my own car and sliding it around again. I love how lively S2000s are on course. They're not easy to drive but are certain to keep you honest. When you get it right though, it feels oh so good. 

Fastest Run for Bumblstook - NNJR SCCA - 9/25/2021