Sunday, October 10, 2021

Fixing Oil Leaks

After my trip to NJMP Lightning a month ago, I noticed a small pool of oil under Bumblestook in the garage. It had gotten everywhere on the driver side under carriage but thankfully it didn't seem like a bad enough leak that I was dangerously low on oil during the track day. On first inspection, the AN coupler going into the bung welded onto oil pan that's used to drain oil from the catch can was leaking. I thought it due it being a tad loose so I re-tightened everything and autocrossed the following weekend. After being parked for a week, I noticed more oil under the car even though it hadn't moved in a while so I got back on the quick jacks and sure enough there was oil coming from the AN coupler again. I drained the oil and removed the coupler and saw what I couldn't see earlier, a crack in the coupler itself. This was on the non-visible side of the coupler so I didn't notice it before.

Cracked AN coupler

I ordered a new Vibrant -10AN female 45 degree union elbow from Jegs. As luck would have it, the first shipment got stolen at FedEx so I had to wait again for them to ship me another one. 

New -10AN 45 degree union elbow

Today I finally got to the time to put it in and complete my oil change that was due anyway. I ran the car a bit and the bottom stayed dry so I think we're good now but I'll keep an eye on it just to make sure I don't have a leak elsewhere. 

New coupler installed - 10-10-2021

Fresh oil in

Maintenance Updates:

Mileage: 60,131

- Amsoil Signature Series 10W-30  - 5.5qt
- New OEM oil filter
- New catch can drain AN coupler