Sunday, September 12, 2021

Back On Track - NJMP Lightning

After several months of hiatus from motorsports due to various life events and being distracted with my garage build, I finally got time to head back on track. The weather was just perfect, low to mid-80s and not a cloud in the sky. 

NJMP Lightning - 9-12-2021

I took the morning sessions to get used to the car again. Since the last event the car got fresh brakes, new rear Karcepts hubs and a fresh alignment. Really my main issue was feeling super rusty with this car. I've been driving my other cars more recently and I really started to feel my steering inputs were incorrect for what I know this car likes. After getting a few sessions under my belt and feeling confident everything was working as it should, I tried to beat my previous personal best of 1:20.7. Frankly that's not a very fast time but given my general desire to avoid 4-wheel excursions and collisions with hard objects with this car, my goal with each event is simply to have fun and see if I can beat my own time. I was able to get a 1:19.3 which is a 1.4 s improvement from my last outing here. I set that at the warmest time of the day on a full tank so I think if I repeat that lap on a cooler day with low fuel, I should be able to find more time pretty easily. 

Bumblestook @ NJMP Lightning
Stupid camera was aimed down so exposure was all wrong

Mostly I was trying to use less brakes or no brakes in certain corners. I know I'm losing a bunch of time in turn 1 but I'm still a bit hesitant to push it there since I know what can happen if you get that wrong. Overall though, it was a great day. I had loads of fun and it was a much needed motorsports event to help clear my mind. I think I might need new tires soon though. These clockwise tracks do a number on your left side tires. 

Tire wear on left side