Saturday, May 30, 2020

Half Way To Break In

After around 500 miles logged, we're halfway through engine break-in. I went to see SJF to change the engine and transmission fluids. I've been running Joe Gibbs Driven BR40 break-in oil and it's recommended this oil gets replaced at around 400-500 miles so I did one more round of BR40 to complete the break-in.

Scarlett on the familiar SJF lift - 5-30-2020
Since the transmission was also rebuilt, we replaced that with some fresh Motul Motylgear 75W90 gear oil (recommended for the Wavetrac diff that's in the car) so we could clear out any bit of debris there as well. There's a very tiny bit of oil leak towards the front of the engine by one of the seals. That's pretty normal on these engines. It's not enough to leave drops on the ground so I'm not particularly worried.

Engine looking pretty clean - 5-30-2020
Before I went to see SJF, I took care of putting on some of the other bits that have been waiting in the garage for the car to return to me. I really love how the old 911s have this little hole on the side you insert a jack pad into so you can jack up the side without having to worry about finding a good spot underneath. Makes wheel changes super easy.

Love these jack points
16x7 16x8 Fuchs with RSR finish wrapped in fresh
Continental Extreme Sport 205/225 - 16
Stealthy black Titanium lug nuts
I also got rid of the old sun visors that had seriously deteriorated over time. Not sure why but they're extra puffy so I got a new pair from Sierra Madre collection. Now I don't have to stare at that sagy visor anymore every time I drive.

Old sun visor left, New right
The final touch for today was the matte black magnetic stone guard from Magnagrafik. They're highly functional, easy to remove for cleaning, and gives it that classic look.

Looking good from 10ft away
We took the car for a nice long drive today to just rack up the miles to get this break-in period over and done with. I even got to experience the anxiety of being stuck in heavy traffic, in hot weather in an aircooled car while watching the temperature gauge go up. That was not fun but I'm glad to say it didn't overheat despite probably being stuck for at least an hour on the FDR drive. I did shut off the AC because I didn't want to risk it. The temps stayed right in the middle so that was comforting. I don't think I'd want to attempt that in the middle of summer though.

We almost got through the day incident free but alas going into the driveway to the garage the curbing is pretty high and at full lock, the tires hit the lip on the fender. I guess I should roll my fenders with these "wider" wheels. It's not too bad and thankfully it's the fender that already needs work anyway so it's just one more thing to add to the list. This is another reason why I haven't gotten any bodywork done yet. You really need to work through all these issues before you do that.

If you ain't rubbing, you're not wide enough
Got more thumbs up today. Cool seeing people really appreciate these older cars. The tune might also need some adjustment. At hot start it sometimes hunts for idle for a minute before settling down. I can't really pinpoint the conditions for when it happens. It seems to just happen about 20% of the time. The car runs great every other time though while driving. Maybe it just hates sitting around and going slow because when you give it that go pedal, she's eager to get moving every time.

Also got a chance to put in the brown Coco Mats and the brown front trunk liner from car-bone. The front trunk mat is still a bit stiff so doesn't confirm as nicely as I'd want right now but I think given time it should fit better.

Coco Mats
Car-Bone front trunk mat


Maintenance Update:

Mileage: 164,733
- 10.5 quarts Joe Gibbs Driven BR40 + new Mahle filter
- 3 liters Motul Motylgear 75W90 Gear oil