Thursday, December 26, 2019

Color correct intake coupler

One thing that's been bugging me for over a year now is that the PasswordJDM intake for Bumblestook arrived with a blue silicon coupler. There's nothing wrong with it functionally but it looks completely out of place in an otherwise black/yellow/red engine bay.

Time to say goodby to the blue coupler - 12/26/2019
I picked up an appropriately sized Vibrant Performance black coupler hose earlier this year which is 2.5" to 3.5" ID and 3" long but just never had a chance to put it in. Now that it's winter and there's nothing else to do, I figured the long overdue "fix" had to get done now.

Vibrant Performance black coupler - 12/26/2019
Getting the old coupler off was a bit of a chore as the combination of it being on there for a year and the cold weather meant it didn't want to budge. After a few minutes with a heat gun, the silicon softened enough for me to pull it off then it was relatively easy enough to put in the new one. It did need some coaxing to get the throttle body side on but with some stretching it finally went on.

Much better looking engine bay - 12/26/2019
Older pic with the blue coupler for reference
I know it seems pretty mundane but I'm actually really glad Bumblestook is, for all intents and purposes, "done", so I actually love the fact that all I really have left to do in any given year are small fiddly bits like this and maintenance.