Saturday, November 23, 2019

Aerofabb V2 Spoiler Extension

I'm a big fan of spoilers and ducktails (as evidenced by ducktail on the Cayman) and while I'm happy with the general shape and lines of the GTi, I always thought it needed a little extra on the rear spoiler. The little black ones that stick on the top look out of place and some of the other aftermarket options are just too big. I decided that the Aerofabb V2 spoiler extension fit the bill quite nicely. It's not too noticeable but adds a little extra hint of black in the rear that gives it a bit more of a defined shape.

Aerofabb v2 spoiler extension - 11-23-2019
The actual installation instructions call for heating up and cutting the glue that holds the OEM spoiler to the side pieces then removing it completely so you can drill holes to mount the spoiler extension. I personally didn't like the idea of having to drill the OEM spoiler so I decided to just use more automotive grade 3M tape as well as 3M adhesion promoter to make sure I'd get a nice bond between the tape and the painted surface and not drill any holes at all.

3M adhesion promoter
It's getting pretty cold right now so using tape and the promoter is not really a great idea since this is supposed to be used when it's warm out. Not wanting to wait until the Spring, I stood there with my wife's old hair dryer heating up both the extension, the spoiler and the tape so they'd all be nice and warm before proceeding with the installation.

Aerofabb spoiler extension installed - 11-23-2019
Aerofabb spoiler extension installed - 11-23-2019
Aerofabb spoiler extension installed - 11-23-2019
I think it came out quite nicely. I applied constant pressure on the spoiler extension while continuously applying heat with the blow dryer (not heat gun as that'd probably be too hot) and left it in the sun for an hour. A few spirited test runs later and there was no sign of movement or loss of adhesion so I think I'll leave it like this. I'm sure it'll only get better as it stays on longer. Overall I'm happy with the product. The gloss black finish matches the other black sides of the hatch quite well but I suspect it's going to attract quite a bit of dust over time but perhaps a nice polish and ceramic coating will take care of that after the Winter.