Friday, May 3, 2019

Plastidip and Hardtop Locks

I probably should just clear bra the car if I really cared but the black part of the CR lip has already taken a bit of a beating from road debris in just a year. When the car was resprayed, the entire bumper was painted yellow and the bottom piece painted over black but obviously rock chips and stuff cause the underlying yellow to show.

Black paint chipped from road debris - 5-3-2019
It doesn't make sense to keep doing a "proper" paint job on this part alone since I'm sure it'll just keep happening and I'm not really trying to be super precious when I drive her around (that takes away from the pleasure). I was initially thinking of wrapping that part in black vinyl but instead I decided the easiest thing to do is just to spray that part with matte black plastidip. It's easy to apply and I can keep repeating the process as many times as I need to make it look normal again.

Plasti-Dip with "Can Gun" - 5-3-2019
After about two coats - 5-3-2019
It's not perfect but at least it doesn't look too bad and I won't be upset if it chips again. It's actually one of the best uses of plasti-dip I can think of. While I was at it, I also plasti-dipped over the Zunsport logo on the grill we installed last weekend. I don't really mind that it says Zunsport since I really like what the company makes but it's a bit of an eyesore having a white logo in the front of the car where there's nothing else white.

Zunsport logo blacked out
Also, after much waiting, I finally got new hardtop locks from Heel Toe Automotive. I already had their locks but one of them was no longer locking and while I'm sure the hardtop is perfectly safe with just one side locked that bothered me so I installed new ones.

New hardtop locks - 5-3-2019
I'm sure a few people were wondering why the heck I was driving Bumblestook around after dropping Kay off at the Meadowlands for the NJ ProSolo this weekend. Partly it was just to keep putting miles on the clutch but more importantly I needed to grab a datalog of the car now that the clutch is broken in to make sure my AFR is all safe for next week's track day.

Rare instance of both cars being out a the same time