Sunday, October 15, 2017

Pre-Winter Prep

It's been 4 weeks since Bumblestook's final event of the season. At the end of that event I noticed I was leaking brake fluid out of the stainless braided brake line on the driver side front. My initial inspection at the time indicated it might be a crack somewhere in the line but I really just wanted to go home so I didn't jack the car up and pull the wheel off to take a closer look Just to be safe, I ordered brand new lines all around and went to SJF Performance today to give the car a good look before packing her away for the winter.

Faulty brake line - 10/15/2017
It turns out the line itself wasn't bad at all and the nut simply vibrated loose (ah the joys of Street Prepared). We opted to just tighten the nut for now and not replace all the brake lines as there didn't seem to be a good reason to do this right now. I'll just have to add this to the list of things we check periodically. For my own reference though, these are the parts and part numbers for the new brake lines.

Wilwood 220-10841 brake lines for the front calipers
Techna-Fit Honda S2000 Rear Brake Lines - HN-20000R
The usual ATE DOT4 Brake fluid
With the brakes sorted, the only thing left was to drain out the remaining E85 in the car which turned out to be around 3 gallons. I left enough fuel in to drive Bumblestook back onto the trailer and filled her up with pump 93 on the way back to storage. Lastly, mostly because I don't have a lot of space, I decided to mount the Hoosiers TomO won at Nationals for Bumblestook on my other set of CCWs.

Fresh tires mounted for next year
She's now tucked away for the winter. I'm not really clear when I'll run her next year but she'll likely be on a reduced racing schedule as I focus on improving my driving and running Lupa, my STR S2000 more instead.

All ready to be put into hibernation - 10/15/2017